Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Zig and Zag and what's between them:

(Via Engage )

Egypt's Culture Minister Faruq Hosni, a candidate to head UNESCO, has come under fire from Israel and the Wiesenthal Centre for saying he was prepared to burn Israeli books.

Read the report here and ponder the following:

Can this be for real? Can this grownup man, of culture and science pretensions, have achieved what great physicists have failed thus far? Can thesis and antithesis occupy simultaneously the same space? Can matter meet anti-matter and not be annihilated instantly, after all?

He said: "I'd burn Israeli books myself if I found any in libraries in Egypt,"

but,

It is "a big mistake that Israeli books have not yet been translated (into Arabic). I have officially asked for it to be done. If people protest, I don't give a damn."

>>>>>>>>>>>

He said

"he opposed a normalisation of cultural ties with Israel"

but,

"it would be "a coup for Israel if I am named to the post (of UNESCO director general) because I will work for reconciliation".

<<<<<<<<<<<<

Reminds me of the dialogue on "Sabrina" (1995), in which the mother of the bride describes the wedding preparations:

"Mrs. Ingrid Tyson:

... it's going to be wonderful!

Elegant but simple,

lavish but tasteful...

Patrick Tyson:

Cheap but expensive."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home