Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Perceptions... and facts: Encouraging news

Muslims in 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East were interviewed for the survey, which is part of Gallup's World Poll that aims to interview 95 percent of the world's population. [-]

About 93 percent of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims are moderates and only seven percent are politically radical, according to the poll, based on more than 50,000 interviews.

In majority Muslim countries, overwhelming majorities said religion was a very important part of their lives -- 99 percent in Indonesia, 98 percent in Egypt, 95 percent in Pakistan.
But only seven percent of the billion Muslims surveyed -- the radicals -- condoned the attacks on the United States in 2001, the poll showed.

Moderate Muslims interviewed for the poll condemned the 9/11 attacks on New York and Washington because innocent lives were lost and civilians killed
.

[-]

"The radicals are better educated, have better jobs, and are more hopeful with regard to the future than mainstream Muslims," John Esposito, who co-authored "Who Speaks for Islam", said. (source)

Well, I suppose we can all heave a great sigh of relief, that of the 1.3 billion Muslims, only 7% are radicals who justify 9/11 and other atrocities.

As "Contentions" blogger Abe Greenwald tells us:

... we’ve all been a little alarmist over here... Seven percent of 1.3 billion leaves us with . . . 91 million radical Islamists. And to think we were concerned! That piddling handful is nothing that can’t be taken care of with a little dialogue, a few billion in American aid, and some proper education. I’m feeling audaciously hopeful...

__________

Later: I wonder how this fits into the categories of moderate/radical used in the above mentioned poll.

5 Comments:

At 6:34 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont think I can waste anymore time at CiF. Its hardened my resolve against the majority of the Left. Only a small minority of Leftwingers can I respect. Sad but true. Im trying not to let that place pollute my notions about Europeans.

 
At 6:39 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS - As regards your post. I think that it understates the number of radicals by about a factor of 2. And doesnt touch on the large numbers of tacit/passive supporters/sympathizers in the Muslim faithful.

Most Muslims are peaceful in spite of Islam, not because of it.

Best regards

 
At 8:48 PM EST, Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

How did you come by that number (a factor of 2)?

CiF is a site that attracts the ugly and the bad. There is no debate, not even a pretense of debate. I never go there. It gets boringly vulgar and hateful as soon you get to the second comment...

 
At 12:19 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I picked that up from Daniel Pipes, 15%, for sure. Maybe elsewhere....like the UK Muslim post 7/7 survey/poll, I think it was the Times.

 
At 12:19 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I picked that up from Daniel Pipes, 15%, for sure. Maybe elsewhere....like the UK Muslim post 7/7 survey/poll, I think it was the Times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home