Monday, July 09, 2007

Noganote

Brokeback Mountain

"Jack Twist: Tell you what, we coulda had a good life together! Fuckin' real good life! Had us a place of our own. But you didn't want it, Ennis! So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain! Everything's built on that! That's all we got, boy, fuckin' all. So I hope you know that, even if you don't never know the rest! You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short fucking leash you keep me on - and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets! I'm not you... I can't make it on a coupla high-altitude fucks once or twice a year! You are too much for me Ennis, you sonofawhoreson bitch! I wish I knew how to quit you.

Ennis Del Mar: [crying] Well, why don't you? Why don't you just let me be? It's because of you Jack, that I'm like this! I'm nothin'... I'm nowhere... Get the fuck off me! I can't stand being like this no more, Jack.

Jack Twist: I wish I knew how to quit you. "

I watched this movie recently, again, for the first time after I'd seen it on the big screen two years ago(?). Already two years? It shook me then and now, again. Even more so. What a great love story. Easier to watch since I knew to expect the calamitous end. But not any less heartrending.

I read since the short story on which it was based, by E. Annie Proulx, by no means a favourite of mine. The director, Ang Lee, took the material and made it soar in a way that it had never been meant to be, I suspect. I am very interested in the translation between media, the fiction to the visual. So I may write something about it, sometime. I've got some major writing projects on my plate but no stimulus. Need to find my stimulus.

In the meantime, it's a dentist appointment with the kids.

_____________

Old movies recently watched for the first time:

The Great Dictator [ Charlie Chaplin is doing the Hinkler ]

The Music Box

Amen

New movies just released:

Ratatouille (The latest from Pixar, brilliant but not convincing: I can accept living toys and rebellious insects, but rats cooking dinner? It overestimates human credulity!)

Ocean's Thirteen (a contrived tale of a sting operation which brings in the surprisingly sanguine "stingees" of the first two "Ocean's" trilogy, Ocean's Eleven and Ocean's Twelve , cooperating in the most unlikely manner in Ocean's new adventure, on the principle of mine enemey's enemy is my friend, or more simply, money makes the world goes round. George Clooney is as handsome as ever. Al Paccino is the bad guy, and not looking too good these days, I'm sorry to say. The collected crew are the kind of people who will throw away their last penny to save your sorry ass, if they count you a friend. It's actually a movie about male friendship at its best.)

Transformers Awesome for those who are enthralled to cars mutating into giant machines, lots of thundering explosions, quite a lot of fun (for young men, teenage boys, little boys and their fathers) but too long for someone who can watch the 5 hours of the A&E Pride & Prejudice in one sitting).

Nancy Drew (a very cute and clever, unspoiled, wonderfully accomplished and neat teenager sleuths her way around L.A., keeping her cool and her unique style. Highly recommended for parents of daughters to be seen with daughters. Others may not appreciate the character as much as she deserves to be...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home